When the Latino Center initially opened its doors in 2010, LHACC served the community
through its unique culturally competent bilingual staff and volunteers, offering Information Referral/Follow-Up/Outreach and Case Management Services. Since that time, these initial services have evolved from basic human need services to include tailor made programs geared towards our youth and senior population.
LISTO participants will take part in 6 learning sessions about team building, decision making, conflict resolution, life skills, career pathways, and additional leadership concepts designed to positively impact individual’s personal growth and future direction.
The program is designed to be highly interactive with a series of components:
1) Classroom Presentations: Presentations by a professional “LISTO” cadre of instructors comprised of key leaders and presenters.
2) Community Service Team Project: This project will also serve as an “incubator” for learning team building, decision making, communications, and conflict resolution skills.
3) Off-site excursion: Designed to expose participants to an outcome as a result of applied leadership lessons.
Participants will be expected to be comfortable with the following:
- Complete one assigned reading and discuss lessons learned.
- Work in a group and also independently.
- Having transportation to local meeting sites – carpooling optional
- Participate in a Community Service Project.
LHACC has developed a successful program for those in their later years to help meet educational, health and wellness needs. Our Latino seniors gather every Wednesday morning for the Sharing Wisdom Program where they participate in different activities like games, English class, food, exercise and more.
This weekly gathering features visits from speakers presenting information on topics such as diabetes, heart disease, education, and recreation. The participating seniors also have an opportunity to play dominoes, cards, bingo and socialize with each other.
If you would like to learn more about or support the Sharing Wisdom, please contact us and let us know of your interest. We would be happy to work with you to benefit our seniors.